Sunday, September 11, 2011

Leaving on a jet plane or 4

so I guess I needed to ease into being alone in a foreign country, because before I even left the country I became a foreigner.my second and last layover in la started as good as any layover could following a 4 hour layover in salt lake. I got to my gate and could tell it was the right gate because I was quickly becoming a minority but out of pride I thought I hope I am the only female solo gringo on the flight that would make me feel brave. As the departure got closer all the other flights had left and the the announcements were in spanish only. No one around me spoke any english and I had no idea what was said that everyone else was reacting to. apparently the slight delay they told us about (in spanish) was actually a departure time of 3am instead of 12:30am and no internet so I can't tell anyone in guatemala I'll be three hours late, oh and I got my wish I am not only the only solo white female but the only gringo period. But with any foreign experience great lows come with great highs.everyone seemed to have noticed I was the only gringo too, tried without words to invite me to the crew and when I used the restroom a sweet older lady tried to speak with me and her daughter who knew perfect english followed. they had me sit with them and soon anyone who knew any english was asking me what my parents thought about me going to guatemala alone, teaching me to look poor and making sure I knew I was on the flight to guatemala city.3 became 4:30am and I was off with 6 hours till my shuttle left and a 5.5 hour flight...

No comments:

Post a Comment