Friday, September 16, 2011

10th anniversary of 9/11 and election day in Guatemala

Started the day being told I looked like all those girls you see in the movies that go on vacation and get lost and then killed, "oh ya a horror film" but ended being coned to kiss a waiter/hostel worker on the cheek so I could eat my soup in the internet room, better right...?

So I get through customs with half an hour till my shuttle leaves, but i am meeting a stranger/internet friend (couch surfing) to tour the city for what should have been 3 hours if my flight got in at 6:30 instead of 10:30.like a champ and thanks to my sis emailing him at 3am he is right outside wearing bright red like he promised and when security asks me where I'm going I point him out and they say "oh a friend"and for a moment I think, am I making a huge mistake? He is very nice and we put my stuff in his car and I get in and now I'm thinking"shit too late now".we have half an hour till I need to be on a shuttle and are now driving away from the airport where it will be. thank goodness he is organized and a genuinely great person, he takes me to a nice grocery store since we don't have time for anything more and refuses to let me pay for anything.we head back towards the airport after a quick tour of the city but did I forget to mention not only have I been flying all day in memory of the 10th anniversary of 9/11 but its election day in guatemala which is a bit different than the US...

Problem 1. Increased security meaning even more young boys packing ak47s than the usual shit ton more than I'm used to

Problem 2.traffic is stopped outside voting stations, which happen to be on route to the airport

Problem 3.to be continued...

Fun fact or two about election day in guatemala: parking is free on this day only, Rigoberta who I'm working with is running for president, alcohol is not sold or consumed for two days so everyone can have a clear head when voting, oh and shuttles don't run.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I have been trying to figure out how to comment for a while now and im hoping I finally figured it out haha. This made me laugh, so good work. Sounds like quite the start of an awesome adventure! Well just thought I'd let you know we're all thinking about you and keepong up to date with this and facebook. Hope things are great and you're finally learning spanish ahaha (Mr. Ruiz will be proud)

    See you soon! Love you!

    P.S. I dont know about other people, but this font is a tad bit hard for me to read. just fyi :-)

    ReplyDelete