Thursday, October 18, 2012

Felix

Its a hunt, like a treasure hunt. Walking for hours upon miles through literal sludge made of feces, decomposing waste, and trash. Through sweltering heat even in the darkest alley ways. Wondering with a mission through the biggest and blackest market in central america, accompanied by crack addicts, drug dealers, and back alley prostitutes, we continue searching, looking, hoping, and hunting. Until one day we find him. Hes only 10 but he looks like 6 and he is living on his own on the steets, either abandoned or escaping a life scarier than this hell. I call his name and he stops but is too high to recognize me, the solo white female in a sea of thousands. The last time we met he threw himself into my arms and forcefully wrapped my arm around himself. yet now her flees and in one short moment he is gone. The hunt is over.

Time to start the long walk back and the 2 hour commute possibly hunching over in a micro bus/ 15 passenger van holding at minimum 25 so I can start over again tomorrow. We might not find him, he might not remember us, but he is my treasure and I will continue seeking after him. The hunt goes on.

Long ago heaven was defined to me to have abundant adventure and I remember thinking my heaven would be a treasure hunt for the gold at the end of a rainbow, turns out for me at least this heaven is on earth just no gold and no rainbows but the promise of life from within the deepest depths of decay. And for me this is not hell, this is heaven, with decay, and hate, and pain, so much pain, but with little beautiful lifes, dry, parched vessels just waiting for a drop of love, worth, understanding. There is no greater adventure, for there is no worthier treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment